AIA NWPR Architectural Design Awards
The American Institute of Architects Northwest and Pacific
Region (AIA NW&P Region) has awarded 16 projects for design
excellence at a ceremony held October 12 during the annual AIA
NW&P Regional Conference held in Tucson, Arizona.
"Based on the number of superior projects submitted, the bar has
been raised," said one jury member.
The award winning projects, from custom homes and schools, to
sports centers and research facilities, includes completed projects
located in the United States, Canada, Japan, and the United
There were 146 submittals reviewed by a jury of three. Two
projects received an Honor Award, six received Merit Awards, seven
won Citations, and two projects were given Special Jury
Honor Awards were given to The Pierre, a residence in the San
Juan Islands, WA - designed by Olson Kundig Architects of
Seattle, WA; and to the University of Oregon John E. Jaqua Academic
Center for Student Athletes, Eugene, OR designed by ZGF
Architects of Portland, OR.
Merit Awards were given to:
- Peace Arch U.S. Border Crossing, Blaine, WA - Architect: Bohlin
- Kicking Horse Residence, Golden, BC - Architect: Bohlin
- Bud Clark Commons, Portland, OR - Architect: Holst
- Astellas Pharma Inc., Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki, Japan - Architect:
- University of California Li Ka Shing Center for Biomedical and
Health Sciences, Berkeley, CA - Architect: ZGF Architects;
- Mountbatten Nanotechnology Electronics Research Complex,
Southampton, UK -. Architect: IDC Architects.
Citations were awarded to:
- Sunnycrest Elementary School, Federal Way, WA - Architect: DLR
- Courtyard Cut, a residence on Mercer Island, WA - Architect: E.
- Nathan Hale High School Modernization, Seattle, WA - Architect:
- Case Inlet Retreat (residence), Case Inlet, WA - Architect: MW
| Works Architecture + Design;
- Nike Olympic Trials Pavilion, Eugene, OR - Architect: Skylab
- New French Embassy, Tokyo, Japan - Architect: Takenaka
- Kenmore Library, Kenmore, WA - Architect: Weinstein A|U
Architects + Urban Designers;
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Brooklyn Infusion
Center, Brooklyn, NY - Architect: ZGF Architects.
The jury also gave special recognition to two unique entries
into the competition. The Federal Way Elementary School Archetype
by DLR Group, and [storefront] Olson Kundig Architects, Seattle, WA
by Olson Kundig Architects.